Whether it is a home renovation project or new construction, creating a perfect interior design is not easy, especially when you need to match it with your lifestyle. Even after considering most of the factors, there are instances when homeowners miss on something really important. Though it's natural it could result in extra investment on time and money. The same thing holds good for kitchen countertops - the health platforms of your home. Installing a countertop may not be a big deal, but when you pay heed to it, a lot of things come to light. Even if you have the best interior designers by your side, it is mindful to have a written guide that can help you retain the vision you have for your kitchen. So, this our small attempt to help you transform your vision into reality!
What Are The Details You Need To Consider While Choosing A Kitchen Countertop?
1. Will it match your lifestyle?
Is your kitchen the busiest place at home? Who will use the kitchen? Do you have the time to clean the kitchen on daily basis? These are some of the questions you need to consider before choosing the countertop. It would be wise to consider both your ongoing lifestyle with a little more thought on future plans.
2. Will the kitchen countertop stand the test of time?
Durability is one of the most important factors that determine the extent of effort that will go into maintenance. If you are looking for a countertop with low maintenance in the long-term, your focus should be on features that maintain durability. These include resistance to heat, scratch, chipping, stains and bacteria. But for a less used countertop, you can choose materials that are delicate and need a little bit of care.
3. Will the aesthetics of the countertop match with kitchen interiors?
When you enter the kitchen, the aesthetics should make you feel at home while being soothing to your eyes. For this, it is really important to match the colour, texture and overall design of the countertop with the rest of the kitchen. For instance, if the colour of the countertop does not go with the kitchen interior, space may look unattractive.
4. What about the health factor?
You might have seen kitchen countertops having grooves holding the dirt. These unhealthy breaks are growth mediums for bacteria and fungi that impact hygiene. This is the primary reason you should avoid installing tiles.
5. How much will it cost?
Of course, it is important to decide the price range to ensure you receive the most value for your money. Consider your requirements over your budget so that you are satisfied with the investment. Few natural materials may be expensive and hard to maintain, but they are a wise decision in the long-term.
When It Is Best To Replace Kitchen Countertops?
1. Cracked or eroding
Some kitchen countertops crack over time to an extent which makes them unrepairable. It may erode to a point when wood or other material beneath is visible. In such cases, replacement is better than repair.
2. Stubborn stains and burn marks
If your countertop has ugly burn marks and stains that are not going away through scrubbing or sealant, then it is the right time to replace.
3. Wish a kitchen upgrade at a minimal cost
If you want to give a new and happy look to your kitchen without spending much, a new countertop could do wonders. A stylish yet durable choice has the ability to change the overall appearance of your kitchen. This could also be a great option when you feel your countertop looks outdated.
4. Structural damage
A kitchen fire may cause smoke or structural damage to your countertops which may need immediate replacement.
5. Need to customise to suit changing requirements
If you have kids or wheelchair-bound members in the family you might need countertops customised as per their requirements. For this, you may need a replacement.
Which Natural Stones Are Best For Kitchen Countertops?
While there are a variety of natural stones used for countertops, the following are most appealing to the taste of different individuals.
1. Granite - We start with granite as it is the most popular natural stones used for countertops. All thanks to its visually unique design and hard texture that is resistant to heat, cuts, and scratches. However, replacement of the sealant in a few years is important in the case of granite, to prevent stains and chipping at the edges and corners.
2. Marble - Beauty needs care and this holds good for the delicate marble. Marble is one of the most expensive stones that are sturdy and low on maintenance. Hence, it is mostly used in commercial kitchens where the use of countertops is extensive.
3. Sandstone - The look of sandstone is different from granite or marble with more of a natural look. It offers medium/high resistance to absorption and abrasion. Oils and highly-pigmented liquids may stain the sandstone countertop. Hence, it requires more maintenance while requiring periodic sealing over time.
4. Limestone - This is more porous than any other natural stones but offers high resistance to heat. Because it is light in colour, it may easily get stained. Yet, it is an attractive and affordable choice than other natural stones.
5. Slate - Slate ticks the boxes in being good-looking, non-porous, easy to clean, and durable natural stone. Even, this stone is low on maintenance. The only downside of the material could be its brittle and sharp edges. Hence, while opting for slate it is best to get rounded-off corners.
How QM India Can Help You To Achieve Your Vision For Perfect Kitchen Countertops?
QM India is one of the most reputed manufacturers and exporters of natural stones. Their global presence proves their expertise and skills in delivering world-class products and services. As they are deeply involved in the manufacturing process of natural stones, what comes out is a perfect beauty for your home. We deliver customised products that meet your requirements and lifestyle without causing any inconvenience. We ensure customer satisfaction right from the making process to the delivery stage. If you are looking for a renovation of your kitchen countertop or a replacement, contact us without any hesitation. We are here to solve your queries with the ultimate knowledge we have of natural stones and its best usage in kitchen countertops.