Having a marble or granite tile flooring or both means a great investment in terms of aesthetics and technical features. All over the world, when homeowners plan out their home construction or renovation, granite or marble are common in their consideration list. And hence there is a widespread use of these natural stones. While you have these beautiful natural stones installed in your home, you may have questions related to their maintenance. Keeping some of the most common questions in mind, we have answered them below one by one.
Q.1: How To Remove Scratches From Marble Tiles Flooring?
A: If you are asking about deep scratches, it will require professional repair. However, minor surface scratches usually caused by dirt are easy to remove. Follow these steps:
- Take a mixture of warm water and mild dish soap.
- Now, take a clean cloth, dip it in the mixture and squeeze it to just keep damp enough.
- Rinse the area with scratches thoroughly.
- Next, use a dry soft cloth and buff the surface in a circular motion.
- Finally, polish the area with a polish, particularly made for natural stones.
If this process does not help, try removing the scratches with fine grain sandpaper or high-quality steel wool. In the end, use a marble polish to restore shine. If none is effective, you need professional help.
Q.2: How To Clean Off Stubborn Stains On Marble Flooring? Can I Use The Same Procedure For Granite Tiles?
A. For most of the rigid stains, a poultice is highly effective. A poultice is a thick paste that draws out the stain from marble. While you can use different ingredients to prepare a poultice, we’ve discussed the easiest one below:
- First, blot the spot to lift the stain as much as possible.
- Now, spray the area with water.
- Next, slather it thoroughly with a paste of baking soda and water (The consistency should be like mayonnaise).
- Then, cover the area with a plastic wrap for a minimum of 24 hours. During this time, the baking soda will dry and pull up the stain.
- After 24 hours, remove the poultice and wash the area with mild soap and water.
- Repeat the procedure, if required.
You can use the same procedure to remove stains on granite floor tiles as well.
Q.3: How To Repair Cracks On Granite Flooring? Is It Possible With A DIY Procedure?
Yes, you can repair cracks or chips on granite using a DIY technique as follows:
- First, check the depth of the cracks. If you see small cracks that go with granite veining that’s normal. But if the cracks are deep, follow the steps.
- Create granite dust matching your granite floor tiles (check online how to make it).
- Now, mix epoxy and granite dust. Read the instructions on the epoxy packet to create the mixture that matches your granite.
- Next, mask the cracked area. Cover the area around cracks to avoid spilling.
- Finally, smear the epoxy on the cracks and let it dry for a while.
There are ways to avoid cracking in granite and marble flooring to save you from such hassles.
Q.4: How Can I Maintain Constant Shine On Marble Flooring?
A. Maintaining the shine on marble flooring is not a one-off task. It calls for regular maintenance, which involves certain factors as given ahead.
- Apply Marble Sealers - Marble is a porous material. Hence, it requires a high-quality sealant that creates an impenetrable film on the surface to prevent liquid penetration.
- Polish - Use a polish once in a while to bring back the shine just like in the five-star hotels.
- Wipe Off Spills - Clean spills immediately to avoid marble getting dull. It’s best to use warm water and natural stone cleaner to clean marble flooring.
- Use Doormats, Rugs, Carpets - Use them near the entrance to avoid any damage due to dirt under the shoes.
Q.5: What Are The Don'ts For Marble Floorings?
A. Here are some precautionary measures to keep any natural stone flooring spick and span.
- Never clean flooring with cleaners containing acids and alkalis.
- Avoid using ammonia, lemon on vinegar to clean marble tiles.
- Do not drag heavy and unprotected furniture over marble flooring as it can leave permanent scratches.
- Never use a dirty mop or oil treated mops to clean the surface as it can make the marble pale.
- Avoid placing plant pots directly on the flooring. Use a protective base beneath the pots.
- In case of spills, blot them instead of wiping and spreading it further.
Q.6: Can I Use Marble Flooring In Steam Shower?
A. In general, granite and marble suppliers recommend not to use marble directly under the steam shower. Because it requires high maintenance. Excessive moisture can cause orange-yellow stains. However, if you are a marble fanatic, you can install it using expert advice and proper maintenance. That said, we suggest using marble-like granite tiles with the same look and feel.
Get The Best Professional Assistance From Quality Marble India
Quality Marble India is a manufacturer, supplier, and exporter of premium quality marble tiles, granite tiles, and other natural stones.
Right from fabrication to installation and sealing, we follow a stringent procedure to ensure satisfaction to our customers. With decades of experience in the natural stone industry, we ensure that any product we deliver shines for decades. Be they marble flooring, granite flooring, or natural stone countertops and claddings.
For any assistance related to natural stones, contact us! We are always there to help you with expert recommendations.