Have you seen slate tiles roofs? They are one of the most sought-after roofing options across the world. Their presence atop any building transforms the exterior aesthetics, making it look sophisticated and royal.
If you are curious about the functionality of the slate tiles roof, their popularity as a ‘100-year roof’ speaks for it enough. They can last for a century or even more. In fact, there are several buildings in Europe that are more than 400 years old. And their slate tile roofs are intact even today.
If we talk about slate rooftops in India, they are found in ancient Hindu temples of the Himalayan village of Kalpa. A three-storied pagoda-shaped temple in the snow-covered Dhauladhar ranges in Kullu Valley showcases centuries-old slate roof. There are many such examples which show that slate can withstand even in the extreme weather conditions.
Slate tile roofing is widely seen across Europe where natural slate quarries are found in Spain, Italy, Germany, and the UK. In India, slate reserves are found in Rajasthan, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, and Madhya Pradesh. Slate mines in Rajasthan alone are spread over the districts of Alwar, Ajmer, Bharatpur, Tonk, Sawai Madhopur, Pali, Udaipur, Churu, and Chittorgarh.
If you are wondering if slate rooftops are a good option, let us get it clear for you.
How Good Is Slate Tiles Roofing?
Slate rooftops are formed by overlaying the tiles and securely attaching them to a solid substrate on a sloped roof. Slate roof tiles are extremely heavy. The roof deck needs to be reinforced to sustain the weight. And hence, slate can be used only on specific architectures and not recommended for flat roofs.
Installation of slate tiles roofing requires special skills and experience. If you are getting the roofing done by professional slaters following are the benefits you can easily avail.
- Energy-Efficient - Slate is a highly energy-efficient material. Thanks to its dense and heavy nature, it doesn’t allow hot air to enter your home. And hence, it keeps your home cooler in summers. Similarly, it doesn’t allow warm air to escape from your home during winters, keeping your indoors warm. Both ways, it saves on energy bills.
- Fire-Proof - Unlike many other roofing materials, slate is completely resistant to fires. It can effectively resist high heat and temperatures.
- Eco-Friendly - Slate stone tiles are a natural product of the Earth. They do not require resources or materials for creation and undergo very little processing. Plus, they do not contain any harmful chemicals or toxins.
- Durable & Long-Lasting - When properly installed by professionals, a slate roof can last 150 years. The material is highly durable and lasts for centuries.
- Low Maintenance - It is recommended that slate roofs be inspected by professionals every 5 to 7 years. And any slate stone tile that is broken or damaged must be promptly replaced. Other than that you can occasionally wash the roof and no other frequent maintenance is required.
- Low Roofing Waste - If you find that your slate roof needs to be replaced, you can reuse the same slate for another roofing project. You can also reuse the tiles for flooring, building garden pathways or driveways.
- Variety - Natural slate comes in a wide variety of colours, shapes and thicknesses. Hence, you have different options to go for depending on your requirements.
Design Options Reflecting Unique Aesthetics
Just like any other natural stone installation in your home, slate roofing is a work of art. For example, you can choose to have a uniform colour across the entire roof. Or, combine different slate tiles to get the rainbow effect. We have listed below a few design options to help you out.
This is the most widely used slate roof. It involves the application of 1/4 to 3/8 thick tiles in square shapes. This standard roof is installed in evenly spaced tracks in an offset pattern.
In this type, you can use tiles with colour tone variations to create repeatable patterns. You can use either one geometric shape or club different shaped tiles to create a unique patterned effect.
By nature, slate is a rough and non-uniform material. You can use the natural slate in its rough form to create a textured look. In this, you can see chipped edges and roughness, unlike other common roofing styles.
Blend a variety of slate tiles to design a colourful roof. Choose from colours such as black, grey, white, blue, green and red to design a beautiful roof for your home.
Curved rooftop tiles can create a distinct look, unlike any other design. In this type, the slate tiles are given a curved bottom edge. It appears like round flower petals arranged in a line or giving a fish-scale like impression.
Quality Marble Exports (India) - Leading Manufacturer & Exporter Of Slate Tiles
Quality Marble Exports (India) is one of the leading slate stone suppliers and slate exporters in India. Using the latest technique and technology, we extract natural slate from our quarries in different parts of Rajasthan.
Hiring master slaters who are adept in how to perfectly install a slate roof is highly essential. Because that ensures your roof lasts for a century or long with low maintenance.
We are specialized in slate tile roofing installation with years of experience in the field. Slate roofing can be applied to all kinds of properties. These include residential, commercial, historical properties as well as temples, churches, resorts, and museums.
What’s more, we also provide customised slate stone tiles to meet any kind of design for your roof. Do you already have a roof style in your mind? Let’s discuss it!